Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Delila- Junior's Privileges

               In the chapter "Red Versus White" Junior realizes that he is lucky to have parents that don't ignore him.  He also becomes aware about the fact that the white kids who go to school with him who are generally considered more fortunate, do not always have parents who fully support them and listen to them fully.  "Ever since I've been at Rearden, and seen how great parents do their great parenting, I realize my folks are pretty good.  Sure my dad has a drinking problem and my mom can be a little eccentric, but they make sacrifices for me (p. 153)."  Like Junior said, his parents do care about him and make sacrifices for him.  For example, Junior's father saves him a five dollar bill for Christmas that could of been worth a lot of value to him.  "Drunk for a week, my father must have really wanted to spend those last five dollars.... He could have spent that last five bucks and stayed drunk for another day or two.  But he saved it for me (p. 151)."  This quote demonstrates how his father gave Junior money instead of using it for his own benefit.  Ironically, Junior does have some privileges that some white kids do not have.  He has loving parents that worry about him and try their best to look after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment